March 18, 2010

Dewey's in Newport - 3 Turkeys

Just went out for date night to Dewey's Pizza at Newport on the Levee before finally seeing Avatar.  We grabbed a couple chairs at the bar and were immediately greeted by the bartender.  Upon seeing how indecisive I was he offered me 4 generous tastes of beers.  I opted for one from Missouri (Schlafly) which was a fairly hearty amber beer.  My better half chose the Brooklyn IPA which wasn't as hoppy as he was expecting but nevertheless refreshing.

For starters we had the Harvest Salad which has to be one of my all time favorite salads...this coming from someone who doesn't really like salads even!  It's a spring mix tossed with figs, goat cheese, pumpkin seeds and bacon.  I usually get the dressing on the side just to avoid soaking the leaves too much - it is served with a tangy Apple Cider Dressing.  Part of the reason we came to Dewey's was because we were looking for a filling, no meat option in observation of Lent.  Well, I totally forgot that bacon toppings on a salad counted too!  Now I'm not Catholic and really only observe Lent to support my husband (and to take advantage of the McDonald's 2 fish filets for $3.33 deal...who wouldn't?).  Needless to say, the salad was covered in bacon crumbles and I started playing a game with myself to find all the bacon in my husband's half. I started to get a little overly excited when another overturned leaf would reveal yet another itsy bitsy bacon crumb.  I'm sure it also looked odd a grown woman rummaging through the salad on her husband's plate picking bacon bits up with her finger?  What can I say?  I love my bacon!  I just couldn't let it go to waste!

The pizza came out fairly quickly.  We got a 13" split between the Billy Goat and the Caprice.  I would never get the Caprice again - it read on paper that it'd be a pretty standard tomato, cheese pizza but the tomatoes were a bit pinkish (definitely not fresh from the garden) and it's served with their white sauce which really leaves the pizza lacking a significant amount of flavor.  The Billy Goat side though was delicious if you love goat cheese the way we do.  It was topped with goat cheese, green peppers, tomatoes which even seemed redder than their brethren on the other half of our pizza.  Again, this pizza was served with the white sauce but there was plenty of flavor to be had on this half.   The crust is a bit undercooked but I don't mind - I actually end up eating the crust here which I never do...not even on my PB&J sandwiches.  If you are looking for a crispy crust then go to Donatos because you won't find that here.

The location couldn't be more convenient for a night out - it's right in the mall at Newport on the Levee across from Bar Louie.  If the pizza didn't fill you up head over there for the best Tots around.  Yes I am a grown woman who loves her tater tots :)


Score: 32 points
Ambiance (3), Tastiness of Dishes (6), Menu (4), Drink Selection (4), Cost (5), Accessibility (3), Service (4), Location (4)



Dewey's Pizza (Newport) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment